Monday, July 2, 2007

Self Harm

Self-harm (SH) is deliberate injury inflicted by a person upon his or her own body without suicidal intent.

There are many forms of self harm.. some people even fail to consider as self harm. I personally think it's one of the most misunderstood things out there. Oddly enough.. some people have adopted it as some sort of trend.. which is honestly something I can't criticize someone for, but is what causes some of the misunderstanding.

People assume a self injurer is someone screaming for attention.. who harms themself then shouts it to the world. Yes, that is the case sometimes. Others consider it something very private and personal.. that no one would ever admit to. I believe that is also the case sometimes. But in my opinion self harm is also.. tattoos .. self harm is drinking and smoking... getting into fight.. there are so many forms. I've noticed that when someone cuts themselves and shows it off.. people are like "gah what a poser..".. but if someone is like "hey look at this tattoo I carved into my wrist" everyone things it's so awesome.

I've been in those categories before. I've been at the point where I'm like "i really wish people would stop saying they cut themselves.. it's offensive for the people who are sensitive about it"

Then I realized.. the phases I've gone through in my life.

Yes.. I used to be a cutter.. the truth is I don't think you ever stop.. it will always be inside you.
I used to do it because I was sad.. the world sucks and I need to inflict as much pain on myself as possible.. and if anyone talked about it I would feel so uncomfortable. But then something changed in me.. the cause of my injuries weren't sadness anymore. It was amusement. I began doing it because I was bored.. or it made me smile.. or I just craved the pain. Instead of hurting myself on bad days.. I would do it on good days instead. And I began realizing.. the people who do it for the hell of it.. aren't posers at all... they're just people.. and it's something they enjoy. I used to be ashamed of doing it.. and I still am.. but at the same time I realize.. no one has the right to judge me. I shouldn't have to suffer through 100 degree weather in a long sleeve shirt for fear I'll be labeled a "poser" or someone who needs psychiatric help.

There's been an argument about whether self harm is a medical illness.. for a long time. But to classify self harm as an illness.. you have to give smokers therapy.. and people who drink.. people who excercise to relieve stress.. and people who meditate... because the intention is the same for all. It helps people feel better.. and if it's done right.. it causes no long term harm.. or at least not lung cancer or a bad liver. It is stereotyped as bad.. but just because it's not a social norm doesn't mean it's horrible. People are quick to judge without realizing why they are doing it.

I refuse to judge someone because they hurt themselves.. I would gladly help them through their bad time but I will not judge. And for those who truly do do it because they think it causes attention.. I only pity them because they are as ignorant as those who stereotype. They do not know what it does.. why it's done.. and what they have gotten themselves into. And I will gladly help them out.

Maybe the people who want the attention... need it. Everyone has their own story.
Instead of judging people should listen. It gets a lot more done.

http://www.twloha.com/

This is an important site.. a site that should be looked at.

No comments: